Summer has officially begun!
Typically, this is an exciting time for most school-aged children and their parents. But the presence of COVID-19 has made finding creative and safe options for summer fun challenging.
But, the great news is, it’s not impossible.
While some programs may look a little different this summer, a few of our community partners have made activities that keep children safe, happy and healthy a top priority.
- Dive into Reading: This program fosters reading skills with weekly/biweekly reading meetings. For the next 6 weeks, join mentors as they read in breakout groups over Zoom.
- Summer Reading Challenge 2020: Working with This Book is Cool! Qualifying children can receive about 20 free books this summer. They will have weekly webcasts to discuss the novels as the summer progresses.
- Hardee County Library: Children and teens can join into craft programs over Facebook Live. Pick up the bag of supplies at the library and then get crafting!
- The Florida Aquarium: Not ready to start the in-person fun yet? No worries. The Florida Aquarium also offers virtual resources to keep children’s brains active through the summer months. There are lessons from elementary school to high school:
- The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature: Weekly, themed interactive science camps are available to students in second to fifth grade. Click here for registration details and learn more about the extra precautions they’re taking to keep everyone safe through COVID-19.
- Realize Bradenton: If you have a young artist in your home, then they would fit right into these workshops. Day-long to week-long activities are available to students who range in age from ages 4-15 years old:
- Manatee 4H: This online experience can keep your children occupied virtually for the summer. After making an online account, they can explore a number of great activities:
- Boys and Girls Club of Polk County: Under the virtual sessions tab is where you can find videos ranging from interactive outside activities to informational sessions about the pandemic. All sessions are presented in a family-friendly way for your children.